Last Updated on July 15, 2021 by Emily Stevens
We compare and review the best top-rated mattresses in 2021, including Saatva, Zinus, Purple, Beautyrest, Boll & Branch, and Nectar mattresses.
This is our list of the overall best mattresses for 2021. We have a variety of mattress types and budgets for a wide range of sleepers and sleeping preferences. Luxury, extra-firm, traditional spring coil, memory foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses.
Our Top 10 Best Mattresses For 2021
#1 Saatva (Luxury Mattress)
- The Best Reviewed Mattress of 2021
- White-glove delivery + free removal of the old mattress
- 120-day home trial
- USA based company, New York City
- Luxury comfort at an affordable price
(New) Latex & Coil Mattress
- Tencel Cooling Cover
- CertiPur-US Certified Foam
- Gel Memory Foam (The Best)
- 365 Night Trial
- Forever Warranty
- Free Shipping & Returns
#3 Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress (Best Budget Mattress 2021)
- Green Tea-infused Memory Foam With a Soft, Poly Jacquard Cover
- Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing Activ charcoal infused into pressure-relieving memory foam
- The high-quality foam is Certipur US certified for durability
- Bed In A Box Packaging for Easy Delivery
- Worry-free 10-year limited warranty included
#4 Beautyrest BRS900 Extra Firm Innerspring
- 900 Series Beautyrest Pocketed Coil® Technology Provides Motion Isolation
- Gel Memory Foam
- DualCool™ Technology Offers Antimicrobial Performance that Dissipates Body Heat
- 1″ Air Cool Foam, 1.5″ Firm Comfort Foam
- If Too Hard, Try Adding A Natural Latex Topper
#5 Zinus Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress (Great Value!)
- Gel and Green Tea-infused Memory Foam With a Soft, Poly Jacquard Cover
- Pressure-relieving foams – 2-inch ultra-cooling gel and green tea infused memory foam
- Worry-free 10-year limited warranty
#6 Boll and Branch
- Top Quality! The Best Money Can Buy!
- Five Core Layers Of Comfort and Support
- Wool and Poly Blend Top, Graphite-Infused Latex, Natural Latex, Micro Coils, and Foundation Coils
- White-Glove Delivery
#7 Purple Mattress
- Purple’s unique foam, firm body support, and pressure reducing design make it one of the best mattresses for relieving pressure points body pain.
- Cool sleeping and motion isolation made Purple a popular brand
- Purple now has 2 mattress options. The original Purple Mattress made of their unique layers of foam and the All-New Purple Mattress with responsive support coils added to the foam base.
#8 Loom & Leaf
- Multiple options for firmness are available
Comforting and pressure-relieving combine with a supportive core to help maintain your body’s natural alignment.
Little to no noise and above-average motion isolation.
Free White Glove delivery and removal of old mattresses.
A longer trial and warranty coverage period than others.
#9 Zenhaven Latex Mattress
- Zenhaven is the latex mattress brand of Saatva. Their 100% pure Talalay Latex “5 Zone” Comfort Layer provides unique support where it matters most.
- This is topped by a layer of breathable wool and covered with organic cotton.
- Unique design, reasonable prices, and white glove delivery.
#10 Layla Mattress
- The design allows you to flip it over for two different levels of firmness.
- Close conforming for the relief of pain and pressure
- Good motion isolation
- Affordable prices
- Free shipping in the contiguous U.S.
The 10 Best Rated Mattresses For 2021
Founded in Austin, Texas Saatva has been in the business of making quality luxury mattresses since 2010. Saatva is known for its luxury mattresses and affordable price points. We have included several images for our Saatva mattress review to express the sense of quality and lush comfort that Saatva Mattresses are known for.
If you are searching for the best mattress for back pain, Saatva’s spring-on-spring coil construction provides the body both pressure relief and firm lumbar support.
The Saatva Classic is a luxury innerspring mattress and is shown here in this picture by the ocean. Loom & Leaf is the Saatva memory foam mattress brand, and it also is in our top 10 best mattresses list for 2021. If you are searching for the best-rated mattress in the U.S. or the best mattress in Canada, our recommendation is Saatva. If you want the best latex mattress, visit Saatva’s Zenhaven brand of latex mattresses.
The New Saatva Latex & Coil Hybrid Mattress
Made With Natural Talalay Latex
Saatva’s all-natural mattress combines the buoyant, pressure-free support of natural latex with the responsive innerspring feel sleepers love. Its medium firmness supports most sleepers, whether you’re a back sleeper, side sleeper, or a combination of both. It’s handcrafted using natural, non-toxic materials for the most blissful sleep of your life.
Cool Comfort & Uplifting Support
Responsive, ultra-breathable natural latex offers excellent pressure-point relief as it keeps you cooler through the night.
Saatva’s organic mattress uses 100% natural Talalay latex for the most resilient, consistent, and durable support. Sustainably sourced latex is naturally hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, resists dust mites, mold, and mildew, and certified to be free of harmful chemicals.
Pricing starts at $849. for a twin, the price for a Saatva Mattress Queen comes in at $1,299, and the bonus is that this mattress comes with free white-glove delivery plus free mattress removal. We love this, and so do Saatva customers. Who wants to mess with getting rid of an old mattress, let Saatva do it for you and they will.
The top-quality design makes Saatva one of the best mattresses for back pain available today.
What Is The Nectar Mattress Made of?
The mattress has 5 Layers
Layer #1 Tencel Cooling Cover
Layer #2 Quilted Gel Memory Foam
Layer #3 Gel Memory Foam
Layer #4 Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam
Layer #5 Breathable Base Layer
We consider Nectar the best gel memory foam mattress available today. Nectar is popular due to 3 main factors, quality materials, affordability and their 365 night try it at home trial with free delivery and free return if needed. The Nectar mattress is a multi-layered memory foam mattress known for using the highest quality foam materials available but at a lower cost.
The Nectar mattress is very affordable but is made from the same quality as Casper or Leesa so don’t think because you are paying less you’re not getting the same quality. If you are wondering about the difference between memory foam vs. gel memory foam and what would be better, we say gel memory foam because of its cooling properties. Nectar’s gel memory foam promotes air circulation during sleep.
Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
Green Tea-infused Memory Foam With a Soft, Poly Jacquard Cover.
The right combination- Our special recipe for rejuvenating rest. Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing Activ charcoal infused into pressure-relieving memory foam that cradles your shape so you awake free of aches and pains and fresh as a daisy.
Pressure-relieving foams- 3 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches soft, airflow enhancing comfort foam, and 7 inches durable, high-density base support foam; ideal for side sleepers and petite to average weight sleepers.
Certipur US certified- Highest quality foam is Certipur US certified for durability, performance, and content.
Expertly packaged- Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
Worry-free 10-year limited warranty included; twin mattress supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while all other sizes can support up to 500 lbs
Beautyrest BRS900 Extra Firm Innerspring Mattress
Experience pressure relief and immediate comfort like never before. The Beautyrest Silver utilizes multiple layers of foam to deliver conforming and comfortable support.
The AirCool and Gel memory foam layers help keep you and the mattress cool through the night. The 900 Series Firm Pocketed coils are designed to move individually of each other which helps reduce motion transfer and give you pinpoint support that conforms to your body.
All this is wrapped in our Dual Cool Cover which helps keep the bed from getting too hot by wicking away heat and moisture. CertiPUR US Certified, 10 Year Limited Warranty and Proudly Made in the USA
Zinus Green Tea Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress
The Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress encompasses all the refreshing comfort of our 1st selling green tea mattress with the added temperature control of our specially formulated MyGel memory foam.
Packed with antioxidant-rich green tea and natural charcoal, these foam layers work overtime while you sleep, pushing out odor-causing agents so your favorite spot in the house stays cleaner longer.
This revitalizing mattress is crafted with skillfully engineered memory and comfort foams that mold to the shape of your body for a customized fit that soothes achy joints.
And a top layer of ultra cooling-gel infused memory foam means that your body temperature stays perfectly regulated and that your thermostat will likely thank you.
All wrapped in a soft-as-feathers poly jacquard cover and delivered to your door with our 10-year worry-free warranty, the highly-rated Gel-Infused Green Tea Mattress is “cool” in many more ways than one
Boll & Branch Mattress
Known for manufacturing the “best bed sheets that money can buy”, Boll & Branch has ventured into the mattress business. Attempting to make the perfect mattress, they added additional layers of specialized foam to add extra layers of support and comfort at the surface of the mattress. This hybrid design also helps to improve air circulation to keeps you cooler as you sleep. That mattress is topped off with a beautiful, comfortable cover that creates the perfect experience.
The Mattress Was Born
In 2018, Boll and Branch decided that they were going to take their business to the next logical step and enter the mattress business. With that, Boll and Branch introduced all of its customers to “The Mattress.” Their new mattress is like all of the other products that they sell, ultra-luxurious, and made of only the highest quality materials.
It features a hybrid design of both coiled springs and foam to deliver needed support and comfort. They settled on a mixture of dual layers of individually wrapped coils of two different sizes, two layers of foam, and topped off with a layer of wool and poly blend. Each of the layers offers an additional amount of support and comfort that combines for an unmatched sleeping experience.
The unique layered construction helps to provide all of the needed support, comfortableness, and coolness that everyone wants these days. The five layers of its structure are all unique in what they have to offer the final result.
5. A base layer of coiled inner springs – Its foundational springs are where it all begins for The Mattress. It features hundreds of individually wrapped coil springs that deliver stability and support from edge to edge. They are also designed to help prevent weight shifting and prevents you from disturbing your partner if you move around in your sleep. The individually wrapped coils also help to improve airflow and circulation.
4. The second layer of micro coiled springs – The second layer of micro springs adds another two thousand individually wrapped coils. These coils add extra spinal support and also adds additional cooling. With the second layer of springs, they were able to add more targeted support for those who suffer from severe back issues. It also helps to bolster the foundational layer of springs just underneath it.
3. Natural latex foam layer – They use naturally sourced latex foam in all of their mattresses. Since it is from natural materials in Connecticut, you will like that it is much more eco-friendly when compared with alternatives. The Talalay Latex that is used in making the mattress is free from the annoying odors that are commonly associated with many of the other types and brands of foam.
2. Graphite-infused foam layer – Latex foam is still the most preferred of all materials for mattress making. However, there has been a trendy innovation recently, and it involves infusing the latex with a special compound. This compound is supposed to boost the cooling effect of the foam. The mixture is called graphite, and it seems to be quite popular. Boll and Brand add a whole layer of this graphite-infused foam on top of its usual latex foam.
1. Wool-poly blend layer – To top it all off The Mattress has a final layer of wool and poly blend. It adds a fantastic amount of comfort and an additional amount of cooling. The highly breathable material is incredibly soft, and it gives the feel of sinking into it while not affecting the overall support.
Purple Mattress Price
Original – From $649.
The All-New – From $1299.
Why Buy Purple?
– Sleep Cool
Is The Purple Mattress Good For Back Pain?
Due to its unique materials, pressure relief, and support, we say yes. Both the original Purple mattress and the New Purple Mattress with supporting coils are on top of our list for the best beds built for support and pressure relief.
You may have seen the Purple Mattress commercials where they put an egg on the mattress and drop something on it, and the eggs don’t break. The current ad has a guy with eggs strapped to his back, and he is lifted and dropped on the Purple Mattress and the eggs strapped to his back don’t break.
But wait, they then replace the Purple Mattress with a memory foam mattress, drop the guy with eggs, and you can guess what happens, the eggs on the memory foam break. The point, this secret, unique purple foam created by NASA scientists is softer and better to sleep on the memory foam. It’s a fun commercial and very useful for sales.
Just imagine two brothers with aerospace and manufacturing backgrounds coming together and creating a mattress. That’s what happened for creating the Purple Mattress with a pressure-relieving polymer layer of a foam base.
After much success with their products in the past, Tony and Terry Pearce decided to focus on the mattress industry. Purple is well-known for its scientific approach and marketing schemes. It’s close to impossible to miss their famous egg text drops raw eggs onto the mattress underweighted glass without breaking a single egg.
Loom & Leaf
Let’s get right to the point. Is Loom & Leaf a good mattress? Yes! It is better than good; it’s one of the best memory foam mattresses. Many people consider it the best memory foam mattress available today. Along with Nectar, these are two popular and highly recommended memory foam mattresses.
The Loom and Leaf Mattress, by Saatva, is a memory foam mattress that can easily compete with luxury memory foams like TEMPUR-Pedic. This is one of only a very few online, direct to consumer memory foam mattresses that are not compressed and shipped in a box.
Even though Loom & Leaf is slightly more expensive than some mattresses, such as Casper and Layla, it excels in quality. We truly believe this product is worth paying a bit more for.
Loom & Leaf uses high-density memory foam including intricate memory foam covered with cooling gel on the top layer and the supporting base layer is made from high-density polyfoam. You will get an extremely supportive, pressure-relieving experience. Our overall evaluation shows this mattress will remove many pain points on the body.
There are two comfort options, a Relaxed Firm, and a Firm. The Loom & Leaf has shown to meet the preferences of most people Along with Loom & Leaf getting rave reviews from customers; our in-house testing backs up these very high ratings. Saatva also offers unparalleled service with free White Glove delivery and removal of your old mattress.
Read over our ratings and recommendations, including who we believe is best suited for this mattress and other essential details regarding Loom & Leaf.
Loom & Leaf Mattress Pros & Cons
• Multiple options for firmness are available
• Comforting and pressure-relieving combine with a supportive core to help maintain your body’s natural alignment.
• Little to no noise and above-average motion isolation.
• Free White Glove delivery and removal of old mattresses.
• A more extended trial and warranty coverage period than others.
• It might sleep too hot for some people.
• Has a weak edge supporting
• Potentially high order.
Loom & Leaf Mattress FAQ
Is Loom & Leaf best suitable for side sleepers?
Loom & Leaf is designed with two firmness levels, Firm and Relaxed Firm. The Relaxed firm is better suited for side sleepers because of the ability of the mattress’s softness to conform to the body. The Firm is better for back and stomach sleepers.
Q. What are the best-rated memory foam mattresses?
A. Loom & Leaf and Nectar are the two memory foam favorites of 10 Best Mattresses. These two are both listed in our top 10 list of top-rated mattresses for 2021.
Q. What’s the difference between Loom & Leaf and Saatva mattresses?
A. Saatva is an innerspring hybrid mattress made of coils, foam, and memory foam. Loom & Leaf is Saatva’s memory foam mattress brand.
Zenhaven Latex Mattress
First, they made the world’s most luxurious all-natural latex mattress. Then they made it affordable. Latex is not cheap. You can pay $4,000 or more for a top-of-the-line latex mattress at a retail store, but it won’t match Zenhaven.
Handcrafted in America of 100% natural American Talalay latex, layered with breathable 100% organic New Zealand wool, and wrapped in lush organic cotton, Zenhaven takes you to new heights of comfort and health. The exclusive Guardin® botanical antimicrobial fabric treatment helps to prolong the life of the mattress by inhibiting bacteria on the organic cotton fabric.
2021 Layla Mattress Prices
The two firmness levels are built-in to the mattress so that you can choose the medium/soft side with softer pressure or the firm side for more significant support.
Copper-Infused Memory Foam
We believe the copper-infused memory foam is offering more exceptional coolness along with the bed’s versatility; it’s a great bed at an excellent price.
Keeping Things Cool With Copper.
Copper is the second-most conductive element in the world. That means thermal energy (a.k.a. heat) sticks to it like a magnet. Infused into our cooling memory foam mattress, copper acts as a small team of hardworking nice guys who pull the extra heat away from your body. This keeps you from breaking into a sweat every night (nobody wants to see what that does to a mattress over time). A copper cooling mattress keeps you cozy and lets you sleep like a temperature-controlled log.
No Pain. No Complain.
A little body pain can quickly turn you into a…well, let’s say it’s hard for anyone to be at their best when they’re stiff and sore. We get it. So we designed the Layla Mattress with layers to support your body evenly, no matter your sleeping style. It’s intended to give you a well-aligned spine, non-strained muscles, and better circulation, for a more comfortable (and pleasant) you all day long.
• The design allows you to flip it over for two different levels of firmness.
• Close conforming for the relief of pain and pressure
• Good motion isolation
• Lower price
• Free shipping in the contiguous U.S.
• Non-prorated Lifetime Warranty
• The potential for off-gassing from the material
• Fair edge support
• Flipping the mattress can be a little difficult
• Mandatory two-week break-in for the sleep trial
Any Layla Mattress Complaints?
Answer – Hardly any! Over 3000 verified reviews With free shipping, a great mattress, lifetime warranty, and positive Layla mattress reviews, we continue to recommend the Layla mattress for 2021.
Mattress Buying Guide FAQ
How To Find The Right Mattress Online
We don’t have to tell you how important it is to get a good night’s sleep. There are already many, many reasons that you’re already familiar with. There are plenty of articles out there about how to get a good night’s sleep, but one of the most overlooked things is the actual mattress that you’re using. The wrong one will cause you aches and pains, not to mention a bad night’s sleep, so put some time and focus into picking the right mattress for yourself so that you can enjoy that comfortable sleep every single night.
When should you get a new mattress?
There’s that first thought that always pops into your head: When should you get a new mattress? It’s normal to think, “Oh, it’s fine. I can make this one work”, but you need to remember that choosing the right mattress is essential to your overall sleep health which is, of course, related to your health overall. Generally speaking, here’s what you should look for when you need support on when should you get a new mattress:
- When you wake up sore: If you are feeling achy in your knees, back, shoulders, or neck regularly, it’s a sign that you need a new mattress. It means that, for whatever reason, your current bed is no longer meeting your body’s needs for comfort.
- When your mattress is visible dented or damaged: Inspect your mattress for visible indentations and take a look for other damage, too. If any wear or tear is present, it’s a good idea to make sure that you look at getting a new mattress. A broken or damaged mattress will not offer you a good night’s rest; that’s for sure.
- When you can’t get comfortable: If you are squirming around (and annoying your partner), or even having difficulty getting comfortable when you are sitting up reading, then it’s a sign that your mattress should be replaced. Comfort is queen, especially when it comes to sleep.
How to choose the right mattress size?
As you know, there are a series of sizes that you can shop for when you get ready to make your new purchase. If you need some help in learning how to choose the right mattress size, you certainly aren’t alone. The mattress sizes (arranged in order from smallest to largest) are twin, double/full, queen, California king, or king.
The most commonly chosen bed size is a queen-sized bed. It has ample room for a couple and room for pets or kids that like to climb in, too. It also allows for wiggle room, which is good for the couple that likes to read or enjoy having more space to move around throughout the night.
However, when you are looking at how to choose the right mattress size, you also need to focus on your needs specifically. Double and twin-size beds, for example, both have standard lengths of 75”. A queen mattress, however, has 80”. If you are short and live alone (or like cuddling with a partner), a double bed may do you just fine. If you are taller and share the space with loved ones, the extra length and width that a California king offers (72” x 84”) may be preferred.
As you could imagine, the choice is going to depend on your personal needs and preferences. You’ll want to choose the size the works the best for you and your family. When in doubt, go a bit oversized. You never know what’s going to happen in the future! You won’t need to double the price or anything to get it, after all.
What are the different mattress types?
With all of the options out there on the market, it’s easy to get overwhelmed simply in understanding what the different mattress types are and how to narrow down the list. The main things to focus on for the choice are:
- Foam: You can get a lot of foam mattresses out there. Most of them feature various layers of foam and the plusher you like your sleeping experience to be, the more foam that is going to go into the mattress. You may be thinking: “How do I choose a good mattress amongst the foam options? There are so many!”. It goes back to the idea of focusing on your needs: firm vs. soft. Edge support vs. lumbar support. Movement transfer, cooling gel, etc. These mattresses are great for when you are particularly sensitive to movement transfer, for example.
- Springs: Often thought to be old-fashioned, you’ll still find that in your search for what are the different mattress types, spring beds have a lot going for them. A lot of them use pocket coils now. You don’t need to settle for creaky springs that poke into your back. There are modern spring mattresses that are great for those who find that foam mattresses are just too hard to use when it comes to shifting positions. Foam has a tendency to hug the body, so shifting positions can take more effort. Mattresses with springs make it easier to shift. However, they do tend to allow for more movement transfer as well, which could be something to consider.
- Hybrid: Whether it’s one half of the bed having customizable features, or just an actual blend of foam or spring together, the key in answering the question of “how do I choose a good mattress” could be in combining the two popular mattress types together to offer you the best of both worlds. There are more and more of these every season to offer you what you need.
How much do mattresses cost?
The hard part is learning how much do mattresses cost, especially when you are looking at a budget. However, you may be pleased that you don’t need to break the bank. While you can spend thousands of dollars on mattresses, you can find budget-conscious brands that are going to still offer you an impressive quality for a mattress.
One example is Nectar. This brand name is now as being “low tech” but still keeps a quality mattress and, of course, a lower cost that makes it affordable.
Specifically speaking, with the question of “how much do mattresses cost”, the answer will be somewhere in the high hundreds to low thousands. There’s quite a scale there, of course, but the key is to make sure that you get a good quality mattress in the end.
Your better night’s sleep is waiting for you. You just need to pick the right mattress to get you there!
The 4 Main Mattress Designs
Top Rated Beds For Specific Types
For Specific Types & Needs
Couples – Saatva, or Any Good Motion Isolation Mattress
Best Precision Adjustable (Like Sleep Number) – Saatva Solaire
Best Mattress For Heavy People (300-500 lbs) – Saatva HD
Mattress Sizes In Inches
Memory Foam vs Latex: Which Is The Better Mattress Material?
Considering Buying a New Latex or Memory Foam Mattress? Read This to Better Understand The Differences
When selecting a new mattress, two of the most popular choices are latex and memory foam mattresses. Both these types of mattresses are made from layered foam that adjust to your body.
However, there are distinct advantages and disadvantages of each one compared to the other. For instance, memory foam is less expensive but retains more body heat, whereas latex has greater durability but is heavy.
This article aims to give you an understanding of the pros and cons of latex and memory foam mattresses. Being fully equipped with this information will help you buy the best mattress to suit you.
Understanding Memory Foam
Memory foam was developed by Charles Yost, an aeronautical engineer contracted to provide crash protection products for aircraft seats. Memory foam is made by adding chemicals to polyurethane foam. These additives give the foam its responsiveness, and its viscoelasticity responds to your body weight. When pressure is removed from the foam, it returns to its original shape.
Memory foam mattresses were introduced in the 1990s and became popular through the bed in a box concept. Compressing the mattress and putting it in a box meant that it could be delivered efficiently, so selling mattresses online became more feasible.
Memory foam mattresses are highly breathable thanks to their open-cell structure. During manufacturing, the foam can be infused with conductive agents such as cooling gel to give the mattress good heat-wicking qualities.
Latex is a little more challenging to define than memory foam in as many as there are three different categories of latex: natural, synthetic, and blended.
- Natural Latex. Natural latex foam is produced using sap from Rubber trees. The sap is altered using either the Dunlop or Talalay processes to create latex. Dunlop processed latex is the denser and firmer of the two, making it less responsive than Talalay latex.
- Synthetic Latex. Synthetic latex is derived from petrochemicals that mimic the feel of natural latex. Synthetic latex is cheaper to produce than natural latex, but it is less durable.
- Blended Latex. Blended latex combines the qualities of natural and synthetic latex, resulting in a durable and affordable product.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Latex and Memory Foam
There is no single mattress type that you can consider as ‘best.’ Your right choice of mattress will depend on a range of factors, including your sleeping position, your budget, any allergies you have, and other personal preferences. When choosing your ideal mattress, you should consider the advantages and disadvantages of each material.
Advantages of Memory Foam Mattresses
- Pressure Relief. Memory foam’s responsiveness allows it to mold to your body’s shape. This material quality eliminates pressure points and conforms to your body rather than pressing against it. The result is a mattress that helps alleviate pain.
- Motion Isolation. One of the qualities that came from developing memory foam as a crash defense is its motion isolation. If you are a restless sleeper, a memory foam mattress may allow you to enjoy a decent night’s sleep.
- Hypoallergenic Qualities. The density of memory foam gives it a natural resistance to allergens such as dust mites. If you are allergic to wool or other natural materials, you might be suited to a memory foam mattress.
- Affordability. One of the most appealing qualities of memory foam mattresses is their affordability. For as little as $1,000, you can get hold of a decent quality memory foam mattress.
Advantages of Memory Foam Mattresses
- Heat Retention. Memory foam’s density might give it protection from allergens, but it also makes it difficult to disperse body heat. This disadvantage is often mitigated by adding cutouts and air channels to the mattresses or infusing them with conductive gels.
- Off-Gassing. When they are first opened, memory foam mattresses often give off an unpleasant smell. This odor is caused by VOCs breaking down as they reach room temperature. The process is called “off-gassing,” and it usually disappears within one week. Mattresses with a CertiPUR-US® certification contain lower VOCs levels, so they will not smell as strong.
- Low Edge Support. Memory foam mattresses are designed to respond to your body weight, and this includes the edges. Some memory foam mattresses provide limited edge support by being wrapped with stiffer foam.
- Varying Responsiveness. The responsiveness of memory foam will vary between different mattresses. A mattress made from a lower quality foam may take around a minute to return to its original shape. A higher-quality foam will regain its shape within seconds.
Advantages of Latex Mattresses
- Springiness. Latex has more springy qualities than memory foam, which leaves you feeling like being on top of the mattress.
- Durability. A latex mattress’s average lifespan is around six to fifteen years, with natural latex providing greater longevity. This lifespan compares to an average of seven years for a memory foam mattress.
- Adjustable. Latex mattresses can be fitted with a zipper along the side that allows you to clean or adjust the inside.
- Organic. Latex is an organic substance made without chemicals and with minimal environmental impact. To maintain these organic qualities in the mattress, manufacturers tend to use other natural products such as wool or cotton along with latex.
- Cooling Effect. Latex has natural cooling qualities, and this is often heightened by manufacturers aerating the foam to increase breathability.
Disadvantages of Latex Mattresses
- Overly Bouncy. We mentioned springiness being one of the advantages of a latex mattress. However, this aspect may not appeal to you as you may find them to be too bouncy.
- Initial Rubbery Smell. Latex is made from natural rubber, so it can have a strong rubber smell initially.
- Heavyweight. Latex is a dense and heavy material, which can make it awkward to move. An average Queen-size latex mattress weighs around 140 pounds.
- Lack of Availability. Not many stores hold stock of latex mattresses. Online shops are the best place to buy them, but their weight often means hefty delivery costs.
- Price. With an average Queen-size latex mattress costing around $2000, these are some of the most expensive mattresses on the market.
How to Decide On The Right Mattress
Choosing the right mattress often comes down to fulfilling or compromising on a few of your requirements, such as the following:
- Budget. If you have some budgetary restrictions, we recommend choosing a memory foam mattress or one made from synthetic latex.
- Environment. Increasingly, a product’s environmental impact is influencing buying decisions. A natural latex mattress is your best option if this applies to you because blended latex, synthetic latex, and memory foam all use petrochemicals during the manufacturing process.
- Softness. If having a soft mattress is one of your requirements, you should choose memory foam. Latex mattresses are denser, so they generally tend to be harder.
- Durability. Natural latex mattresses are more durable, so they will be less prone to sagging. A good quality latex mattress could last you around fifteen years.
- Sink-Into or On-Top. If you enjoy sinking into your mattress, choose one made of memory foam. If lying on top is your preferred sleeping position, go for a latex mattress.
Other Mattress Types
Of course, memory foam and latex are not the only types of mattresses. If neither of these is to your liking, you could try one of the following:
- Innerspring Mattress. This type of mattress is made with several sprung coils as support, covered with a padded layer of cotton, wool, or polyester. These mattresses have excellent cooling properties as sir can circulate freely around the coils.
- Hybrid Mattress. These are a combination of foam and innerspring mattresses. They allow air to circulate between the coils, and a 2-3 inch layer of foam or latex gives bounce and contouring.
Making the right choice of mattress is critical, considering the amount of time we spend in bed. Hopefully, this article will help you choose between the equally popular memory foam and latex mattresses.
Recent Blog Posts
Boll & Branch Mattress Review
Sleep is extremely important to our health and no one knows that better than the people at Boll and Branch. Long known for their luxurious sheets, they have recently entered the foray of mattresses. As with the many other products that they make, their mattresses are made from only the best materials designed to deliver a great night’s sleep… Read More
Latex For Less – Review
Mattresses are no longer as simple as going to a department store and picking one off the shelf. Sure, it may have been convenient back in the day, but what about now? There are so many options out there that are just waiting for you to grab them, and one of those very well leads you to a better night’s sleep. What exactly is it, you ask? A latex mattress… Read More
In this article, we will be discussing 6 of the top self-treatment techniques people are using today to reduce pain. Pain issues such as back pain, hip and shoulder pain, waking up with a stiff neck, and general body aches and pains. We are not doctors or healthcare professionals, and we strongly recommend anyone with pain issues visit their doctor.
One of the six tips we will discuss is selecting the best mattress for pressure points. That means choosing a bed that distributes your bodyweight evenly while sleeping 8 hours.
When your weight is not distributed evenly, pain from pressure points and trigger points can develop or worsen, resulting in sore bodies, aching backs, and inadequate sleep. Choosing a better mattress is just one of the six tips people are doing today to ease joint aches and pains.
Pain relief benefits from everyday retail products and services are available to everyone. Read More